Player Development Model
The NGS Player Development Model is an overview of the four pillars of player development outlined in the clubs style of play philosophy. They include technical, tactical, psycho-social and physical attributes that the club strives to instill in all it’s players as they progress through the club.
As part of the clubs goal to improve Player Development, NGS Coaches have access to age group specific guidelines and a curriculum designed to create more organized, age appropriate training sessions, developing coaching practices whilst creating a fun learning environment for all players.
The combination of both the NGS Player Development Model and Style of Play should be used as guides to how we envision the way our players and teams perform in practice and games. As coaches it’s important we help our players develop in all areas of their game but we must ensure we are teaching age appropriate skills and concepts, and have realistic expectations of our players.
Coaches should also take into account that players will vary in terms of skill and the way they learn at each age group. At the beginning of each season coaches should:
- Review the NGS Player Development Model and the age appropriate goals for your age group, and assess what level your players are at.
- Coaches can therefore plan their season, set goals for individual players and overall as a team both for practices and games.
- To help with planning coaches should review the NGS Curriculum and resources to plan appropriate sessions for your players.
- Remember at NGS we put development before winning!! Whether you win, lose or tie ask yourself as a coach, have we improved since the last practice or game? Did my players grasp the topic we worked on in practice and use it effectively in the game?
- Coaches should lay the foundations starting with the fundamentals and build up. Begin with the basics and advance when you see success. If needed return to the basics to achieve a goal.
As a club if we focus on the right things at the right ages, we can aim to see more and more players entering their next step in the development ladder equipped to progress and become better players.