Thank you for volunteering to coach this year. Please review this page carefully for updated information about 2016-2017 NGS coaching requirements . Please complete all requirements as soon as possible. We will not be able to issue travel coaches a 2016-2017 BAYS coach pass card or sticker until they have met all requirements.
Check out the Coach Requirements Chart for a quick overview. Click on links below for additional important details.
NGS Spring 2017 Coaches Meeting
Mandatory for ALL coaches
Date: Tuesday, April 4, 2017
Time 1: 6:30 – 7:45 pm for City Coaches (Grades 3-9)
Time 2: 7:45 – 9:00 pm for Travel Coaches (Grades 3-8)
Place: Oak Hill Middle School Auditorium
Date: Thursday, April 6, 2017
Time: 7:00 – 8:30 pm for Juniors Coaches (Grades K-2)
Place: Oak Hill Middle School Gym
Coach Education Opportunity: Goal Keeping Clinic
Optional for all CITY and TRAVEL coaches
Date: Wednesday, April 12, 2017
Time: 6:45 – 8:00 pm
Place: Fessenden Turf Field B (Across from Gath Pool on Albemarle)
Based on feedback we received, we have changed the PCA training to a one-time workshop rather than an online course. The 2017 workshop date has not yet been determined.
This will be MANDATORY for ALL Grade 2 – Grade 4 Coaches (even if you took the online course in the past) who did not participate in the fall 2016 workshop. All other coaches are welcome to attend.
F License is mandatory for ALL Head Coaches and optional for assistant coaches. This is a 2-hour, online course.
NGS will reimburse the cost of license registration fees for all coaches. For reimbursement, email your receipt to the Club Treasurer Nina Levin (email@example.com). Reimbursement requests must include a name and mailing address.
Please note we will be keeping track of licenses. Email your age group coordinator and firstname.lastname@example.org once you complete a course.
Concussion Awareness Requirements
(1) Annually (in the fall), ALL Head and Assistant Coaches in the NGS Travel Program are required to complete an online concussion training program.
The courses and fact sheets are also highly recommended for coaches in the City and Juniors Programs.
- Select one of two recommended courses: CDC Heads Up Course or NFHS Concussion Course (requires registration)
- At the end of the training session, answer questions to obtain a certificate of completion. Type your name on the certificate, then save and print the pdf file. Note: once you log out your information will NOT be saved at the CDC site.
- Send the completed certificate to Seth Stier at email@example.com. If you have trouble saving the certificate please print it, take a picture with your cell phone and send the photo in an email to Seth. Please remember to print a copy for your records.
- Certificates must be received before any travel coach can work with their team. Travel coaches will not be issued a coach’s card or current season BAYS sticker if they have not submitted a copy of the certificate. The certification will be good for the upcoming fall and spring seasons only. Previously completed certificates are no longer valid!
(2) Distribute CDC Concussion Information Sheet and CDC FACT Sheet for Parents to the parents prior to the start of the season even if you handed them out last season.
(3) Review the CDC Fact Sheet for Athletes with all players prior to the start of each season.
(4) Review the CDC Coaches FACT Sheet. NGS will follow the CDC guidelines for any player suspected of having a concussion.
(5) Consider using the Heads Up App. The Heads Up app will help you learn how to spot and what to do if you think your child or teen has a concussion or other serious brain injury.
If you have any questions, please contact Seth Stier via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
MA Youth Soccer (MYSA) Adult Registration
All adult volunteers must register ANNUALLY with the MA Youth Soccer Association. Even volunteers that completed the registration last fall or spring need to register for the fall 2016/spring 2017 season. Go to the Adult Registration Portal on ShareView to register.
- A recent color head shot photo must be uploaded
- Registrants must use full LEGAL first and last name.
- Volunteers that registered last year should login as a “Returning User” with the same email and password. Once you select the current year application, all of your information will prepopulate.
- Please make sure that you affiliate yourself with Newton Girls Soccer when prompted.
- You cannot volunteer with NGS until you are registered with MYSA.
- This is NOT the same process as completing a CORI request.
All adult volunteers are legally required to complete a CORI request and be CORI approved BEFORE they can volunteer. CORI approval expires every three years. When you complete your annual MYSA registration, you will receive a confirmation email that will contain your CORI status.
- If your CORI is up to date, you are set.
- If you need to complete a new CORI, the confirmation email will contain a link to the CORI Submission Request Portal to complete an online CORI. You will need the username and password that you created when you registered with MYSA. Once complete, print the form, sign it and bring the original signed form to Laurie Utstein with your ID. Email email@example.com to make arrangements.
Click here for FAQ about CORI and MYSA Registration.
Travel Coach Pass Cards
All travel coaches must have a laminated coach pass card, stamped by the registrar and with a current BAYS sticker. BAYS rules specify that each team is allowed not more than three coaches or adults on the players’ side of the field. All adults/coaches on the players’ side of the field must have their coach’s pass card in their possession and must present it to the referee prior to the start of the game. Any adult or coach unable to present a valid coach’s pass card may not participate in the game as a coach and may not remain on the player’s side of the field during the game.
- Returning Travel Coaches – You can re-use pass cards from year-to-year and will get a 2016-2017 sticker at the NGS coaches’ meeting, if you have completed all the requirements outlined in this letter. Please check NOW to make sure that you can find your card. If you need a new one, please email a head shot to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- New Travel Coaches – If you haven’t already done so, please email email@example.com with your name, address, date of birth, team name/age group, and a head shot. Your card will be waiting for you at the coaches’ meeting.
As always, we are happy answer any questions. Thank you!